Advanced Practice Clinician (5023) New
American University Website
No recruiters please
The Advanced Practice Clinician (APC) at American University's Student Health Center provides comprehensive outpatient care to AU students within the scope of practice of a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant licensed in the District of Columbia.
S/he examines, evaluates, diagnoses and treats acute and chronic conditions in a concise and expeditious manner according to established standards of care. The Advanced Practice Clinician assesses, interprets, and evaluates patient status, develops health care plans, and initiates patient communication and education as well as referral and urgent care. S/he consults with the Medical Director and provides guidance for nursing staff and ancillary employees.
The Advanced Practice Clinician follows the guidelines and standards established by the AAAHC accreditation body in order to maintain the Center’s accreditation, and collaborates with Center clinicians to ensure best practice clinical service delivery. S/he participates in health education and health promotion programming, quality improvement activities, and peer review.
- Licensed Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant, or license-eligible, in the District of Columbia
- Nurse Practitioner: Board certification by the AANP or ANCC as a family nurse practitioner, adult nurse practitioner, or women’s health/adult practitioner
- Physician Assistant: Certification by the NCCPA
- Possess and maintain a valid Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) license and controlled substances number to prescribe controlled substances
- Two years’ experience required; experience with women’s healthcare and health education
- Proven ability to work as an effective member of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to manage multiple, competing priorities
- Demonstrated computer proficiency including personal productivity software and electronic medical record systems
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Professional practice style compatible with a multi-disciplinary team and supportive of the university’s mission
- Must have highest standards of integrity and ethics in both performance and behavior
- Desire and appreciation for work in a diverse, fast-paced environment.
- Student service orientation with experience working with diverse population
- Experience in college health or with a college- age population
- Experience with an electronic medical record system
- Experience with quality improvement and peer review activities
Must be able to work collaboratively with medical director and other mid-level providers. Requires strong interpersonal skills and the ability to discuss medical information with patients in an understandable manner with a high degree of tact. Ability to coach and mentor nurses and medical assistants is important. The Advanced Practice Clinician serves as part of a multidisciplinary team providing primary healthcare services to undergraduate, graduate, and law students of American University. The Center accommodates approximately 15,000 healthcare visits per year.
Position is 40 hours per week, may require participation in a rotational evening schedule and may be required to work one evening per week during the fall and spring semesters. This position may either be a 10 month or a 11 month position.
Hiring offers for this position are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.